If the “Property Brothers” can do it, why can’t you? You might watch an elaborate remodeling project on HGTV show and think you can accomplish the same. However, you should remember it’s a TV show. There’s a team behind the scenes planning and executing the project. Remodels take months to plan and execute. Sometimes you can, in fact, do-it-yourself (DIY). But many times, you can’t and shouldn’t even attempt.
Attention Milwaukee homeowners: Let’s look at 9 reasons it’s best to leave the home remodeling projects to the experts. Are you considering a kitchen remodel, bathroom remodel or basement finishing? Hire a design-build remodeling company like Kowalske Kitchen & Bath. You can be confident the project will get done on time, on budget, and will look beautiful.
1. You Don’t Have The Tools or Equipment
A home remodeling project requires a lot of different tools. Beyond the smaller items like the appropriate hammer and tape measure, what about a truck for materials? Some jobs require a specific tool or piece of equipment. Sometimes you can rent these items, but once you are home, do you know how to use these tools?
See if you have all the tools needed:
- Demolition Tools: crowbar, sawzall, sledgehammer & voltage tester
- Safety Items: safety glasses, respirators, work gloves & ear protection
- Basic Tools: hammer, screwdrivers, wrenches, sockets, clamps, level, tape measure, speed square, pliers, stud finder, cordless drill, multi-tool, air compressor & nailer, sander, etc.
- Painting Items: brushes, rollers, drop cloths & lights
- Other Items: ladder, shop vac, extension cords, saw horses & truck
- Saws: jig saw, circular saw, mitre saw, table saw
We not only have all the necessary tools but we are trained to use them. Beyond that, we have the appropriate connections to obtain any specialty or unexpected resources.
2. You Don’t Have the Knowledge
There is a lot that you don’t know about remodeling unless you’ve done this many times before. Once you get started, you can’t assume things will make sense as you go. Everything will be in disarray without understanding the steps, codes, permits needed for a project.
Things you need to know:
- Design & Space Planning – A professional designer, trained for kitchens and bathrooms, will have the necessary knowledge for a remodel. At Kowalske, our team of experts will design the overall look and functionality of a room.
- Codes & Permits – We know how to design a space to code and who to contact for necessary permits. We partner with expert tradesmen to complete electrical, plumbing and HVAC work.
- Scheduling a Project – We have years of experience and thousands of jobs under our belt. We know the steps of a project and how long it takes.
3. You Don’t Have the Skills
Watching HGTV and YouTube videos doesn’t count as on-the-job training. According to mymove.com, many home projects require a lot more expertise than others. The site notes that “while you may think you have all you need to replace a lighting fixture, you may forget that turning off the electricity to that circuit (is necessary).”
Do you have these remodeling skills?
- Framing, Insulation & Drywall
- Electrical, Plumbing & HVAC
- Installing Cabinetry & Flooring
- Tile Work
Our experts are trained in areas such as electrical, plumbing, HVAC, flooring, installing doors, and hanging trim. Also, few homeowners think about encountering dangers such as asbestos or lead paint, which need to be tested for and removed by experts.
4. DIY Could Cause an Injury
Let’s face it: Renovations can be dangerous. According to DoItYourself.com, each year millions of DIY remodelers working on home projects end up going to the hospital. About 170,000 of these injuries are due to ladders.
There is inherent risk involved, especially when it comes to areas such as wiring, lifting heavy items, demolition, and using certain tools. From nail guns to sledgehammers, the tools can be tough to handle, and it’s best to have someone with experience. Be sure to take additional precautions if you have children or pets in your home.
5. You Don’t Have the Time
Time is valuable! Just like your monetary budget, it is a resource that should be taken into consideration. The last thing most Milwaukee homeowners want to do is work all week at their job and then spend weeknights and weekends DIY renovating their homes. It’s easy to overlook the time investment needed for a remodel.
When you hire Kowalske, we save you time by:
- Ordering all the necessary materials
- Overseeing all subcontractors
- Setting up a specific schedule and sticking with a daily plan
- Ensuring quality of the project each step of the way
- Coordinating delivery and disposal of items
6. DIY Will Cost You More
Homeowners think DIY and equate that to “less expensive,” however, that’s not always the case. In fact, often the opposite is true because mistakes cost money. A home remodeling project is already a costly investment, but mistakes and re-dos will add to that cost. You may overlook an important step and watch the dollar signs rack up quickly.
At Kowalske, we only use high-quality, exclusive materials because we know they are durable and reliable products. Most of the items we use are not available in big box stores.
7. It Could Affect Your House Resale
Many homeowners view a remodeling project as an automatic upgrade. However, if done incorrectly, it could decrease the value of your home. Professional remodeling companies know the types of projects that increase home value and will be able to execute them properly.
Realtors and inspectors will be able to spot shoddy remodeling work. It could scare away buyers if the work was not done with a permit or by a licensed contractor.
8. Remodeling Only Looks Easy on TV
We tend to forget that contractors have years of experience in their trades. A task that takes a professional a few hours could take you an entire weekend, or longer. Your house could be torn up and out of commission for a significant period of time, depending on the project.
9. You Might Not Like the End Result
If you don’t like the end result, then what will you do? If your doors are crooked, the tile doesn’t line up, or the paint color is all wrong, you will have to live with the result, decide to fix it yourself, or find a pro to fix it. A DIY that goes wrong could result in more wasted time and money!
When you come to the professionals from the very beginning, you are guaranteed a certain level of expertise and quality. You can get a plan in place and follow that vision. You can ask questions and make informed decisions throughout the course of the project.
You Can DIY These Projects
If you are intent on taking on some home projects and you have the knowledge, start here:
- Cosmetic updates like painting or wallpaper
- Replace your cabinet hardware
- Update your faucets or showerhead
- Change light fixtures
- Add open shelving or storage/closet systems
- Paint your fireplace or update the mantle
- Add paneling, shiplap or board & batten to a wall
- Refresh an old piece of furniture
Hire a Pro
Not every project is meant to be a DIY. Sometimes Milwaukee homeowners are best leaving the messy, involved, and often challenging process to the experts.
Leave these projects to a contractor:
- Any project where walls need to be moved and structures changed
- Any job that involves plumbing, electrical, or a permit from your municipality
- Installing cabinets, flooring, tile, and countertops because these are complicated projects that could result in costly mistakes
If you are thinking about remodeling your home, take the first step and reach out to us. A designer will call you to learn about your project and answer all of your questions. We think you’ll be impressed with our team’s level of knowledge, service and professionalism.