Are you considering a bathroom remodel for your Milwaukee or Waukesha area home? If so, there are a variety of factors to take into consideration. As a Wisconsin design-build remodel expert, we have years of experience renovating bathrooms and know what it costs to get the project done. With this in mind, we’ve compiled a guide to help Milwaukee and Waukesha County homeowners understand the costs associated with renovating your bathroom.
What Affects the Cost of a Bathroom Remodel?
After watching HGTV shows like House Hunters, Fixer Upper or Property Brothers, many homeowners think about remodeling their bathroom! However, a bathroom remodel on TV is quite different from one in real life. In a 30- or 60-minute show, the process looks effortless and inexpensive. In reality, they fail to discuss and show the true expenses of a bathroom remodel. We will help you understand the real cost to remodel your bathroom.
Remodeling a bathroom is not an every day project. Most of us only do it once in our lives so we don’t have a point of comparison. Our friends and family may give us insight, but every bathroom project is different. There are various factors that affect the cost of a remodeling project:
1. Size of Your Bathroom: The size of your space is the biggest factor that will affect cost. A 5′ x 8′ hallway bathroom is less expensive than a master bath with a walk-in shower plus a whirlpool bathtub.
2. Scope of the Project: Moving walls and/or fixtures will drive up the cost of your bathroom remodel. Take a look at your space and get an idea of what you want. Our designers will help you best utilize your space.
3. Age of Your Home: Updates to the electric and plumbing can add to the cost of your project. Are there electrical issues that need to be updated? Will a toilet be moved to a new location? Do old pipes need replacing?
4. Materials Used & Level of Finishes: At Kowalske, we offer customers different price points for materials which are all high-quality materials.
- Light Fixtures: Most homeowners want their bathroom to be well-lit, particularly around the shower and sink areas. Give some thought to how many fixtures you need and what kind you want. Do you want recessed lights, sconces or a lighted mirror?
- Countertops & Cabinets: The cost for countertops depends on the material and number of sinks. Similarly, cabinet cost is about how many you need and the type of materials you choose to use. At Kowalske, we only use high-end materials in our projects.
- Tile: The amount of tile you need to cover the space of the bathroom and the type you want will affect the final cost. The tile material, intricacy of the design, and type of installation also play a role in the price.
6. Amenities: Today’s bathroom has endless options for those looking for a luxury bathroom. Use your imagination and come up with the room of your dreams. From heated floors to towel warmers to a whirlpool tub, there are many ways you can create your ideal space.
Where Will the Money be Spent?
Here is where the money is typically spent on a bathroom remodel:
- Labor Costs: Labor costs involve a variety of factors. These include everything from the demolition crew to tools used for the work. All of our team members are experts who provide top-level workmanship.
- Materials: It’s important to consider the materials that will be needed to cover all the various components needed to complete the job. These include the cabinets, fixtures, vanity, tiling, and other add-ons.
- Mechanicals: The mechanicals in your home will need to be updated to accommodate your new bathroom. Consider whether you need new plumbing, HVAC and electrical. Be sure that your contractor understands your local building codes and requests the permits needed for the project.
Keep in mind that as you go through the design process, the scope of your project may change, and there may be additional costs that pop up. Your designer will help point things out along the way to avoid unpleasant surprises.
Estimating Your Bathroom Project
When we estimate the cost of your bathroom remodel, we provide you with a 3-column budget with options that we classify as either good, better or best. This 3-column budget allows you the flexibility to determine an investment amount you are comfortable with. It also shows you how the money is being allocated to each portion of the project.
Milwaukee & Waukesha Bathroom Costs
The size of your bathroom (square footage) and the number of plumbing fixtures affect the cost of a bathroom remodel. Materials and labor costs continue to increase as the demand for construction and remodeling continues. Milwaukee and Waukesha County homeowners can use the following chart to estimate their bathroom project.
Here are our remodeling project estimated costs*:
|PROJECT TYPE||ESTIMATED COST*|
|Bathroom||$35,000 – $150,000|
* The ranges listed above are the typical costs for a project with Kowalske Kitchen & Bath. Most of our projects are greater than the minimum costs. Our typical client chooses to upgrade materials and scope beyond basic materials/scope.
We are a design-build company, so our projects include the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor. Project estimates do not include the costs for appliances, furniture or décor. Each project is unique and the cost depends on size, age of home, level of finish and complexity.
See below for detailed project examples.
Shower Remodel Cost
- Features: Tiled Shower, Acrylic Bathtub, Kohler Fixtures, Glass Shower Door & Storage Niche
- Range: $15,000+
- Learn more about this Sharp & Stylish Wauwatosa Bathroom
Full Bathroom Remodel Cost
The cost to remodel your bathroom is most affected by the size of your space. A full bathroom typically includes a bathtub/shower and a vanity with one sink.
Oconomowoc Hallway Bathroom
- Features: Custom Cabinets, Walk-In Shower, Wood Shower Door Panels, Kohler Plumbing Fixtures, Tiled Floor, Tiled Shower, Heated Floors, Shiplap, Trim & Lighting
- Cost Range: $45,000 – $65,000
- Learn More about this Oconomowoc Hallway Bathroom
Master Bathroom Remodel Cost
A master bathroom is typically larger and more costly than a hallway bathroom and usually includes BOTH a shower and freestanding tub.
Brookfield Master Bathroom
- Features: Porcelain Tile Floor & Shower, Custom Cabinets, Cambria Quartz Counters, Glass Shower Door, Whirlpool Tub, Kohler Fixtures, Lighting & Glass Hardware
- Cost Range: $50,000 – $65,000
- Learn more about this Brookfield Master Bathroom
Oconomowoc Master Bathroom
- Features: Custom Cabinets, Cambria Quartz Counters, Plumbing Fixtures, Porcelain Tiled Floor & Shower, Glass Shower Door, Clawfoot Tub, Heated Floors, Shiplap, Lighting & Hardware
- Cost Range: $70,000 – $90,000
- Learn more about this Oconomowoc Bathroom
Our Design-Build Remodeling Process
As a design-build-remodel company, we provide the design and construction services, all under one roof. Working with us from start to finish simplifies the bathroom remodeling process for you. While other companies may only provide a portion of the work, we have experienced designers with degrees in interior design/architecture and support staff to ensure that your bathroom project runs smoothly.
- Educating you about the remodeling process
- Measuring your space
- Creating a functional design that meets your needs & style of the home
- Creating floor plan drawings
- Creating 3D renderings
- Providing a project estimate
- Assisting you with final selection of materials: cabinetry, counters, flooring, plumbing fixtures, lighting, hardware, etc.
- Home walk-through with the project team
- Ordering materials: cabinetry, counters, flooring, lighting, fixtures, hardware, lumber, drywall, paint, trim, etc.
- Providing a dedicated Project Manager to oversee the project
- Providing you with an online calendar
- Obtaining permits
- Executing work: demo, framing, drywall, installation, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, tile, painting, carpentry, etc.
Is Design-Build Right For You?
Our ideal customer chooses design-build because they want guidance and expertise to oversee the entire bathroom remodeling process. This approach involves a variety of benefits:
Are you looking for a cohesive team? Work with one team from design through construction. By analyzing your project closely during the design and planning stage, we try to avoid any additional expenses and keep the project on track. We visit your home with our design team, electrician, plumber, etc. to review the plans and discuss the project.
Space Design – Flow, Function & Style
Do you want a designer who guides you through the process to design a space with functionality and cohesive style? With Kowalske, you’ll have an experienced designer that works on your project from start to finish. Your designer will help you plan your space for the best design for flow, function, storage, and style to match your home. Your designer will show you drawings and 3D renderings of your space to envision the final look and feel.
Do you want a simple and easy selection process? Or would you rather run around town searching for counters and tile? At your appointment in the Kowalske showroom, we present numerous options for your project. We coach you through the material selection process for your project, including cabinetry, counters, flooring, tile, fixtures, hardware and lighting. We source and buy from a wide variety of high-quality vendors. Our goal is to provide you with durable products and exclusive lines.
Do you have time to order all the materials for your project? (We didn’t think so.) We have a dedicated production team that orders and tracks the materials. We ensure that items are available BEFORE your project begins. We know the importance of finishing a job on time so we don’t start a job until all materials are available.
Are you looking for a smooth construction process that finishes on time? A Project Manager will oversee your project and is available for questions. We coordinate the day-to-day work, including the demo, framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, tiling and carpentry. Licensed contractors will complete all the work. You’ll have access to an online schedule to see what is happening each week and the peace of mind knowing all the details and quality of work are overseen.
Start Your Bathroom Project
Taking on a bathroom remodel is a commitment, but there are ways to make it easier. Start by taking an assessment of your specific needs and goals. The next step is to connect with the right experts to make your venture a success. Kowalske Kitchen & Bath is the company to choose to ensure you get the job done in the way you want. We can make your Milwaukee or Waukesha bathroom remodel a very manageable and enjoyable experience.
- Luxury Bathroom Tile Ideas
- Best Bathroom Countertops
- Bathroom Flooring Guide
- Bathroom Design for Aging-in-Place
- Lighting for Your Bathroom
We complete dozens of bathroom projects each year in Waukesha and Milwaukee Counties, including Delafield, Brookfield, Hartland, Wauwatosa and Elm Grove. Homeowners choose us for our excellent customer service, quality materials and meticulous craftsmanship.