How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen, bathroom or basement?
Most people don’t know what it costs to remodel a room in their home because it’s not a frequent purchase. You might only remodel once or twice in your life. Maybe you’ve watched HGTV shows about remodeling. The problem is that these shows are not a realistic portrayal of cost or timeline.
We will help you understand what costs are associated with a remodel and how much a typical project costs.
What affects the cost of a remodeling project?
- Size of the project
- Age of your home
- Materials (level of finishes)
- Complexity (same layout or moving walls)
- Cost to construct
Here are some rough outlines of where the money is typically spent in remodeling:
Keep in mind that as you go through the process, the scope of your project may expand. For example, a kitchen remodel may expand into the dining room or adjoining rooms. It’s always a good idea to set aside a contingency fund. Your designer will help point things out along the way.
To understand how we price a project, it helps to first understand our design-build-remodel process.
Our Design-Build Process
Kowalske Kitchen & Bath is a design-build-remodel company. This means that we provide the design and construction services, all under one roof. Other companies may only provide a portion of the work. We have designers (with degrees in interior design/architecture) and support staff, to ensure that your project runs smoothly. Working with us from start to finish can simplify the process for you.
- Educating you about the remodeling process
- Measuring your space
- Creating a functional design that meets your needs & style of the home
- Creating floor plan drawings
- Creating 3D renderings
- Providing a project estimate
Selections & Purchases
- Assisting you with final selection of materials: cabinetry, counters, flooring, plumbing fixtures, lighting, hardware, etc.
- Ordering materials: cabinetry, counters, flooring, lighting, fixtures, hardware, lumber, drywall, paint, trim, etc.
- Providing a dedicated Project Manager to oversee the project
- Providing you with an online calendar
- Obtaining permits
- Executing work: demo, framing, drywall, installation, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, tile, painting, carpentry, etc.
Is Design-Build Right For You?
Are you looking for a team effort on your project? Working with one team from design to construction means that we work closely with all team members. We try to foresee any issues during the design and planning stage to avoid any additional expense and keep the project on track. We visit your home with our design team, electrician, plumber, etc. to review the plans and discuss the project.
Space Design – Flow, Function & Style
Do you want a designer who guides you through the process to design a space with functionality and cohesive style? With Kowalske, you’ll have an experienced designer that works on your project from start to finish. Your designer will help you plan your space for the best design for flow, function, storage, and style to match your home. Your designer will show you drawings and 3D renderings of your space to envision the final look and feel.
Do you want a simple and easy selection process? Or would you rather run around town looking for counters and tile? At your showroom appointment, we present numerous options for your project. We coach you through the material selection process for your project, including cabinetry, counters, flooring, tile, fixtures, hardware and lighting. We source and buy from a wide variety of high-quality vendors. Our goal is to provide you with durable products and exclusive lines.
Do you have time to order all the materials for your project? (We didn’t think so.) We have a dedicated production team that orders and tracks the materials. We ensure that items are available before your project begins. We know the importance of finishing a job on time so we don’t start a job until all materials are available.
Are you looking for a construction process that runs smoothly? A Project Manager will oversee your project and is available for questions. We coordinate the day-to-day work, including the demo, framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, tiling, and carpentry. Licensed contractors will complete all work. You’ll have access to an online schedule to see what is happening each week and the peace of mind knowing all the details and quality of work are overseen.
Estimating Your Project
When we estimate the cost of your project, we provide you with a 3-column budget with options that we classify as: good, better and best. This 3 column budget will allow you the flexibility to determine an investment amount you are comfortable with and show you how the money is being allocated to each portion of the project.
- Good: Laminate counters, stock or limited semi-custom cabinetry, basic backsplash tile, drop-in sink, luxury vinyl flooring, no change in room layout, etc.
- Better: Solid surface, granite counters, quartz counters (select colors), semi-custom cabinetry, upgraded backsplash tile style/color, undermount sink, porcelain tile flooring, layout changes, moving walls, etc.
- Best: Custom cabinetry, quartz counters, specialty stone or ultra-compact counters, natural stone backsplash tile, farmhouse or workstation sink, natural stone flooring/counters, hardwood flooring, high-end finishes, luxury items, layout changes, moving walls, etc.
You have the ability to choose where you money is spent. For instance, you can choose to splurge on the ‘best’ counters and spend less on ‘good’ light fixtures.
Approximate Project Costs
This chart will give you a general idea of our project costs.
|Shower Only||$10,000 – $15,000|
|Master Bathroom – Small||$45,000+|
|Master Bathroom – Large||$60,000+|
|Kitchen – Small||$50,000+|
|Kitchen – Mid-sized||$65,000+|
|Kitchen – Large||$90,000+|
|Basement – Rec room only||$40,000+|
|Basement – Kitchenette, Bath & Rec Room||$70,000+|
See below for detailed project examples below.
Please Note: Our projects include the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor. Each project is unique and cost depends on size, age of home, level of finish and complexity. Our project estimates do not include the costs for appliances, furniture or decor.
Shower Remodel Cost Estimate
- Features: Tiled shower, acrylic bathtub, Kohler fixtures, glass shower door & storage niche
- Range: $10,000 – $15,000
- Learn more about this Sharp & Stylish Wauwatosa Bathroom
Hallway Bathroom Remodel Cost Estimate
Wauwatosa Hallway Bathroom
- Features: 60 square feet, gray cabinetry, quartz counters, open shelving, subway tile accent wall, subway tile shower, acrylic bathtub, brushed brass Kohler fixtures, luxury vinyl plank flooring, recessed lighting & sconces.
- Cost Range: $32,000 – $35,000
- Learn More about this Wauwatosa Pink Bath Makeover
A master bath is typically larger than a hallway bath and often includes both a shower and freestanding tub.
Small Master Bathroom Remodel Cost Estimate
Cedarburg Master Bathroom
- Features: 79 square feet, walk-in shower, glass shower door, subway tiled shower, mosaic accent tile, freestanding bathtub, single vanity, quartz counters & Kohler fixtures.
- Cost Range: $45,000 – $55,000
- Learn more about this Bright & Airy Cedarburg Master Bath
Large Master Bathroom Remodel Cost Estimate
Brookfield Master Bathroom
- Features: 131 square feet, large walk-in shower, freestanding Maax bathtub, glass shower door, porcelain tiled walls & shower, mosaic accent tile, dual vanity, Cambria quartz counters, luxury vinyl plank flooring & Kohler Fixtures.
- Cost Range: $54,000 – $60,000
- Learn more about this Beautiful Brookfield Master Bath
Small Kitchen Remodel Cost Estimate
- Features: 12-15 cabinets, shaker cabinetry, quartz counters, Kohler faucet, Blanco sink, herringbone backsplash tile & Kichler pendant light
- Cost Range: $45,000 – $55,000
- Learn more about this Timeless Waukesha Kitchen
Mid-Sized Kitchen Remodel Cost Estimate
- Features: 18-20 cabinets, shaker cabinetry, carrara marble subway tile, Caesarstone quartz counters, Kohler sink & faucet, open shelving, matte black hardware, fireplace tile & oak hardwood floors.
- Cost Range: $60,000 – $66,000
- Learn more about this Classic Delafield Kitchen
Large Kitchen Remodel Cost Estimate
- Features: 20+ cabinets, white shaker cabinets, Viatera quartz counters, gray island with butcher block top, Kohler sink & faucet, brushed nickel hardware, gray arabesque backsplash, hardwood flooring & staircase reconfiguration.
- Cost Range: $100,000+
- Learn more about this Bright Open Wauwatosa Kitchen
Basement Remodel Cost Estimate
- Remodel Included: Living room, entertainment space, kitchenette & full bathroom
- Features: Maple cabinetry, quartz counters, Kohler sink & faucet, sliding barnwood door, luxury vinyl plank flooring, carpeting, Kohler Choreograph shower surround, staircase reconfiguration & barnwood accents.
- Cost Range: $70,000 – $77,000
- Learn more about this Rustic Modern Hartland Basement
- Why design-build is the best remodeling approach
- Learn more about our history and credentials
- Read more about our remodeling process
- View our project gallery
- Get inspired by our before & after images
Frequently Asked Questions
What affects the cost of a remodeling project?
The cost of remodeling is based on the size of the project, the age of your home, the materials you choose, the complexity of the project, and the cost to construct.
What is the most expensive part of a remodel?
The most expensive part of a remodel is the materials (cabinets, tile, flooring, counters, etc.) followed by the mechanicals (electrical, plumbing, HVAC, etc.) and the labor (job preparation, demolition, carpentry, etc.).
How much does it cost to remodel a shower?
A shower remodel typically costs between $10,000 to $15,000. This includes the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor.
How much does it cost to remodel a bathroom?
The cost of a bathroom remodel typically starts at $27,000. Master bathrooms with both a shower and bathtub typically start around $45,000. This includes the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor.
How much does it cost to remodel a kitchen?
The cost of a kitchen remodel typically starts at $50,000. This includes the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor.
How much does it cost to remodel a basement?
The cost of a basement remodel typically starts at $40,000. This includes the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor.
What is the most expensive part of a kitchen remodel?
The most expensive item for a kitchen remodel is the cabinets. Other high expenses include the countertops, tile and flooring.