Are you considering a kitchen remodel for your Milwaukee or Waukesha area home? We’ve compiled a guide to help you understand the costs associated with renovating your kitchen. As a Wisconsin design-build remodel expert, we have years of experience updating kitchens and know what it costs to get the project done.
How Much Does it Really Cost?
Have you ever watched HGTV remodeling shows such as Fixer Upper, Property Brothers or Flip or Flop? After watching a few episodes, most homeowners want to remodel their kitchen. In addition, they make it look quick and effortless on TV. While it’s easy to come up with a vision, there are a lot of unknowns involved including the cost.
Remodeling involves many facets. It includes a demo of the existing kitchen and replacement of everything in it. Also, each project has its own level of complexity! For example, when walls move and plumbing changes, the price goes up.
What Affects the Cost?
Because most of us only remodel a room once or twice in our lives, we have no point of comparison. There are various factors that affect the cost of a remodeling project:
- Size of the Kitchen: The size of your space is the biggest factor that will affect cost. You need to take into account the space involved. How big is your kitchen? Certainly, when remodeling a larger space, you need more flooring, cabinets, countertops, etc. For instance, partially remodeling a large kitchen will often still cost more than a full remodel of a small kitchen due to the size.
- Scope of the Project: How much of your kitchen are you looking to revamp? Do you want to gut the whole space? Or, do you want simple cosmetic updates such as countertops, backsplash and lighting fixtures? Obviously, a gut remodel will cost much more.
- Age of your Home: If your home is older and needs to be brought up to modern day codes and amenities, this will affect cost. The more modernizing that is needed, the more the cost will increase. As the project gets underway and walls are opened up, you may discover that certain aspects of the kitchen are not up to code. For example, roadblocks include: problems from previous projects, outdated electrical, structural issues, leaks and poor plumbing.
- Materials Used & Level of Finishes: What sort of materials do you want to use in your home? The cost of your project depends on your choices of cabinetry, counters, fixtures, flooring, etc. At Kowalske, we offer customers different price points for materials which are all high quality materials.
- Complexity: You need to look at the potential complexity of the project and how much work will be involved. For example, the biggest expenses in a kitchen remodel include: tearing down walls, changing windows/doors, relocating electrical, plumbing or HVAC, and adding water fixtures such as a bar sink.
- Additional Costs: Think about the extra items you will need to execute the project. Do you want to purchase new appliances as part of your kitchen remodel? Don’t forget the often-overlooked components like insulation, drywall, paint and trim. Also, think about the fine details like door knobs, cabinet hardware, kitchen stools, drapery, rugs and decor. All these other items and finishing touches that pull the room together will add on to the bottom line.
Where Will the Money be Spent?
Here is where the money is typically spent on a kitchen remodel:
- Labor Costs: Labor costs involve a variety of factors. These include everything from the demolition crew to tools used for the work. All of our team members are experts who provide high-quality workmanship.
- Materials: It’s important to consider the materials that will be needed to cover all the various components needed to complete the job. For example, this includes cabinets, counters, and flooring. With Kowalske, all materials used are of high quality.
- Mechanicals: The mechanicals in your home will need to be updated to accommodate your new kitchen. Consider whether you need new plumbing, HVAC and electrical. Be sure that your contractor understands your local building codes and requests the permits needed for the project.
Keep in mind that as you go through the process, the scope of your project may change or grow. For instance, if your kitchen flooring continues into your dining room, your project may expand into the adjoining room. Your designer will help point things out along the way.
Estimating Your Kitchen Project
When we estimate the cost of your kitchen remodel, we provide you with a 3-column budget. To clarify, the investment levels are classified as either good, better or best. This 3-column budget allows you the flexibility to determine an investment amount you are comfortable with. Also, it also shows you how the money is being allocated to each portion of the project.
- GOOD: Laminate counters, stock or limited semi-custom cabinetry, basic backsplash tile, drop-in sink, luxury vinyl flooring, no change in room layout, etc.
- BETTER: Solid surface, granite counters, quartz counters (select colors), semi-custom cabinetry, upgraded backsplash tile style/color, undermount sink, porcelain tile flooring, layout changes, moving walls, etc.
- BEST: Custom cabinetry, quartz counters, specialty stone or ultra-compact counters, natural stone backsplash tile, farmhouse or workstation sink, natural stone flooring/counters, hardwood flooring, high-end finishes, luxury items, layout changes, moving walls, etc.
You have the ability to choose where you money is spent. For instance, you can choose to splurge on the “best” counters and spend less on “good” light fixtures.
Approximate Kitchen Costs
Materials and labor costs continue to increase as the demand for construction and remodeling continues. The size of your kitchen and the number of cabinets are major factors that need to be taken into consideration when estimating the cost of a kitchen remodel. Milwaukee and Waukesha County homeowners can use the following chart.
Our remodeling project cost minimums*:
|PROJECT TYPE||ESTIMATED COST*|
|Kitchen – Small (12-15 Cabinets)||$55,000+|
|Kitchen – Mid-sized (15-20 Cabinets)||$70,000+|
|Kitchen – Large (20+ Cabinets)||$95,000+|
*Please Note: The costs listed above are the lowest possible costs for a project with Kowalske. Most of our projects are greater than these minimum costs. Our typical client chooses to upgrade materials and scope beyond basic materials/scope.
We are a design-build company, so our projects include the design, materials, a dedicated project manager, permits and labor. Project estimates do not include the costs for appliances, furniture or décor. Each project is unique and the cost depends on size, age of home, level of finish and complexity.
See below for detailed project examples.
Sample Kitchen Projects
The cost to remodel your kitchen is most affected by the size of your space. We have listed the costs of three kitchens below (small, mid-sized and large), based on the number of cabinets.
Small Kitchen Remodel Cost
- Features: 12-15 cabinets, shaker cabinetry, quartz counters, Kohler faucet, Blanco sink, herringbone backsplash tile & pendant light
- Cost Range: $55,000 – $65,000
- Learn more about this Timeless Waukesha Kitchen
Mid-Sized Kitchen Remodel Cost
- Features: 18-20 cabinets, shaker cabinetry, carrara marble subway tile, Caesarstone quartz counters, Kohler sink & faucet, open shelving, matte black hardware, fireplace tile & oak hardwood floors.
- Cost Range: $70,000 – $80,000
- Learn more about this Classic Delafield Kitchen
Large Kitchen Remodel Cost
- Features: 20+ cabinets, shaker cabinetry, Viatera quartz counters, island with butcher block top, Kohler sink & faucet, brushed nickel hardware, arabesque backsplash, hardwood flooring & staircase reconfiguration.
- Cost Range: $100,000+
- Learn more about this Bright Open Wauwatosa Kitchen
Our Design-Build Remodeling Process
As a design-build-remodel company, we provide the design and construction services all under one roof. Most importantly, working with us from start to finish simplifies the kitchen remodeling process for you. We have experienced designers with degrees in interior design/architecture and support staff to ensure that your kitchen project runs smoothly. On the other hand, other companies may only provide a portion of the work.
- Educating you about the remodeling process
- Measuring your space
- Creating a functional design that meets your needs & style of the home
- Creating floor plan drawings
- Creating 3D renderings
- Providing a project estimate
- Assisting you with final selection of materials: cabinetry, counters, flooring, plumbing fixtures, lighting, hardware, etc.
- Home walk-through with the project team
- Ordering materials: cabinetry, counters, flooring, lighting, fixtures, hardware, lumber, drywall, paint, trim, etc.
- Providing a dedicated Project Manager to oversee the project
- Providing you with an online calendar
- Obtaining permits
- Executing work: demo, framing, drywall, installation, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, tile, painting, carpentry, etc.
Is Design-Build Right For You?
Our ideal customer chooses design-build because they want guidance and expertise to oversee the entire kitchen remodeling process. This approach involves a variety of benefits:
Working with one team from design to construction means that we work closely with all team members. Therefore, we try to foresee any issues during the design and planning stage to avoid any additional expenses and keep the project on track. For instance, we visit your home early in the project with our design team, electrician, plumber, etc. to review the plans and discuss the project.
Space Design – Flow, Function & Style
With Kowalske, you’ll have an experienced designer that works on your project from start to finish. First, your designer will help you plan your kitchen for the best design for flow, function, storage and style to match your home. Next, we show you drawings and 3D renderings of your space to envision the final look and feel.
At your showroom appointment, we present numerous material options for your kitchen to save you from running from store to store. Most importantly, we coach you through the selection process for your project, including cabinetry, counters, flooring, tile, fixtures, hardware and lighting. We source and buy from a wide variety of high-quality vendors to provide you with durable products and exclusive lines.
We have a dedicated production team that orders the materials you choose and ensures that items are available before your project begins. By having all materials available before a job start, we can stick to the schedule and finish on time.
A Project Manager will oversee your project and be available for questions. For instance, we coordinate the day-to-day work, including the demo, framing, drywall, plumbing, electrical, tiling and carpentry. Licensed contractors will complete all work. In addition, you’ll have access to an online schedule to see what is happening each week and the peace of mind knowing all the details and quality of work will be overseen by experts.
Get Started on Your Kitchen Remodel
Taking on a kitchen remodel is a commitment, but there are ways to make it easier. Start by taking an assessment of your specific needs and goals. Next, connect with the right experts to make your venture a success. Kowalske Kitchen & Bath is the company to choose to ensure you get the job done in the way you want. We can make your Milwaukee or Waukesha kitchen remodel a very manageable and enjoyable experience.
- Kitchen Remodeling Guide
- Kitchen Backsplash Ideas
- Best Kitchen Countertops
- Kitchen Flooring Guide
- Lighting for Your Kitchen
Kowalske Kitchen & Bath remodels dozens of kitchens each year in Waukesha and Milwaukee Counties, including Delafield, Brookfield, Hartland, Wauwatosa and Elm Grove. Homeowners choose us for our excellent customer service, quality materials and meticulous craftsmanship.