Is it time for a kitchen remodel in 2024? Maybe you’ve been thinking about it for years or maybe you are a new homeowner. As the heart of the home, the kitchen is more than just a room. Yes, you want a nice-looking space, but beyond that, remodeling your Milwaukee kitchen has many other benefits. When you have a kitchen you love, you will likely cook more meals at home. Invite friends and family over on a regular basis. Enjoy moments of deep conversation and laughter. Don’t wait… it’s time to remodel YOUR kitchen!
- 1. Improve Kitchen Functionality & Eliminate Inconvenience
- 2. Renovate Your Kitchen to Meet Your Family's Needs
- 3. Upgrade to Fit Your Personal Style
- 4. Remodel to Boost Your Home's Resale Value
- 5. Increase Energy & Water Savings
- Get Started on a Kitchen Remodel
- Frequently Asked Questions: Reasons to Remodel Your Kitchen
The top five reasons why you need a kitchen makeover:
1. Improve Kitchen Functionality & Eliminate Inconvenience
Update an Awkward Kitchen Layout
Above all else, you want a kitchen that functions for your needs. No one works well in an awkward space. Is your working area too small and too cramped? Maybe you can’t open certain cabinets if someone is in the refrigerator. You might need more countertop space for meal prep. These things can be fixed or at least greatly improved with the right remodeling job.
Is your kitchen layout designed around the “kitchen triangle rule”? This kitchen triangle theory refers to the kitchen’s three main work areas – the sink, refrigerator, and stove. The guidelines state that these areas be neither too close or too far apart from each other. Each side of the triangle should measure no less than 4 feet and no more than 9 feet. The sum of the distance of the triangle should not be less than 13 feet or more than 26 feet. If the traffic flow of your kitchen isn’t working, your triangle spacing might not be correct.
Ideas for improving kitchen functionality:
- Add storage organizers in the drawers
- Reconfigure the layout to add a peninsula or island
- Add under cabinet lighting
- Create a food pantry storage area
- Install smaller appliances
Update Deteriorating Materials
Does your kitchen faucet leak? Are your cabinets not closing properly? Is your kitchen flooring showing wear? As you reconfigure the space in your kitchen, it makes sense to update deteriorating materials. No matter how durable, shiny and new everything appears when first installed, things fall apart. Dents appear. The wear and tear of life and general use takes its toll. The most important things to update include the cabinets, countertops, sink, faucet and flooring. Invest in high-quality, durable products that will last many years.
2. Renovate Your Kitchen to Meet Your Family’s Needs
Create a Space that Works for Your Family
Do your kids do homework at the snack counter? Do you want a new style of cabinets, recessed lighting or energy-efficient appliances, like many homeowners reported in the 2023 Houzz Kitchen Trends Study? Or perhaps you are looking for more counter space because you love to entertain in your kitchen. Whatever your needs may be, this is your chance to make your wishes a reality.
With a well-thought-out space comes relaxation and peace of mind. When you renovate your kitchen, it’s important to do so with your family’s specific needs in mind. Maybe you want a large island for gathering in the center of the room. We can make that happen for you.
Kitchen Needs to Consider:
- Storage: Cabinet and pantry storage or a place for your china collection?
- Appliances: Double ovens, cooktop, range, beverage fridge, microwave drawer, etc.
- Seating: Do you want an eat-in kitchen or island?
- Do you want a beverage bar for wine or beer?
- Room for entertaining
If your current kitchen doesn’t fit your lifestyle, a kitchen remodel can make it the kitchen of your dreams.
3. Upgrade to Fit Your Personal Style
Do you cringe every time you enter your outdated kitchen? If so, this is one of the reasons to remodel and create a happier go-to space. Your kitchen should be somewhere you want to be and spend time. That means pleasant finishes and colors that reflect your personal style. In 2023, the most popular design style for a kitchen is transitional (23%) with modern (14%) and contemporary (12%) as the second and third design style choices. Work with a Kowalske designer, who can show you our most popular products, colors and designs.
Some style considerations could include:
- Backsplash tile: Choose your favorite color or shape
- High quality countertops such as quartz or granite
- Hood : Get a brand-new hood above your range
- Hardware: Change the style or finish of cabinet knobs and pulls
- Lighting: Is your kitchen gloomy? Brighten it up with contemporary kitchen fixtures
- Plumbing fixtures: Update your faucet with a new style
Since you’ll be spending a good portion of your life in the kitchen, make sure it fits your aesthetics. Our designers can help you incorporate the most popular products, colors and designs in your kitchen.
4. Remodel to Boost Your Home’s Resale Value
Buyers Look for Updated Kitchens
Think beyond yourself when updating your kitchen. The updates will also be appreciated by new home buyers should you choose to sell. An updated kitchen will boost the resale of your home and adds value to your future.
Statistics show that you will likely recoup a good chunk of what you invest. According to Zonda Media’s 2023 Cost vs. Value Report, a Milwaukee homeowner will get back 38% of what you paid for a mid-range kitchen remodel ($84,769). Homes with updated kitchens sell more quickly as the kitchen is often the shining star for new home buyers.
Improve resale value with these updates:
- Modern Cabinets
- Quartz Countertops
- Energy Efficient Appliances
- Backsplash Tile
- Range Hood
- Updated Flooring
- New Kitchen Sink
5. Increase Energy & Water Savings
Eco-friendly kitchens are growing in popularity. From LED light bulbs and natural lighting options to water-saving fixtures and energy-efficient appliances, there are many ways to save the environment and dollars at the same time.
Update Your Appliances to Save Energy & Water
Are your appliances out-of-date and using unnecessary energy? A remodel is the perfect time to update. From ovens to dishwashers to stoves, kitchens are full of energy-sucking appliances that you may not even realize. There are other drawbacks to older appliances: If over 25 years old, your appliance won’t be stamped with the EPA’s Energy Star Seal. Also, a repair can be difficult and costly, with parts that are hard to find. Upgrading appliances can reduce your energy usage by 20 to 40 percent.
A kitchen remodel provides a great opportunity to make updates that will make your kitchen more “green”. Energy-efficient appliances are one major area to start. They will save a lot of money over time.
New appliances include:
- Range or cooktop
- Beverage/wine fridge
- Smaller items like coffeemaker, blender, toaster oven
Get Started on a Kitchen Remodel
Are you ready to speak with a designer? Whatever your reasons to remodel your Milwaukee kitchen, we are here to help. You provide the inspiration and we will give you the options to bring your dream kitchen to life. We remodel homes in Delafield, Brookfield, Hartland, Wauwatosa, Elm Grove and the surrounding areas. Kowalske Kitchen & Bath has more than 30 years of experience working with local homeowners to renew, refresh and renovate their kitchens. Contact us today for a consultation.
- When to Hire a Contractor: Reasons to Not DIY
- Cost to Remodel Your Kitchen
- Kitchen Organization Ideas
- Kitchen Flooring Ideas
- Remodel or Move?